Sunday, December 11, 2022

2017-7-27 (Thursday) A Gray Hairstreak at the Madrona Marsh

One fine July morning, I visited the Madrona Marsh in Torrance, California. 

                                                               

  

Among many wildflowers, 

I chanced upon a tiny little butterfly.  

Long as I waited, I was unable to capture it with wings spread open, but I did get several with wings closed. 







According to Wikipedia, "The gray hairstreak (Strymon melinus) is also called the bean lycaenid or cotton square borer. It is a member of the Lycaenidae family, known as the gossamer-winged butterflies and the second-largest family of butterflies. It is one of the most common hairstreaks in North America, ranging over nearly the entire continent. It also occurs throughout Central America and in northern South America."

Thanks for visiting!

No comments: